Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Dental Woes

The dreaded words were out -
"Avanti, we'll have to extract this wisdom tooth out as well."

Before one erroneously assumes my pearly whites (okay okay.. pale whites) to be rotten, loosely-hanging-by-the-gums and populated with more holes than your local club's housie ticket that's just won the coveted full-house, let me clarify that my dental woes are confined to merely having a small jaw. I have always prided myself on never having visited a dentist (other than for the annual delivery of Mom's pickles to the Doc-in-discussion). Never did I indulge in sweetmeats, candies and other such sworn enemies of the tooth. Plus, I religiously floss them twice a day and keep 'em spic and span. So naturally, when in possession of the latest facts pertaining the configurations of my jaw, I was aghast. I barely kept myself from yelling at the Doc, 'Small jaw??!?? Well, what did you expect?? Me sporting a dinosaur-like jaw? An enchanting idea, but no thanks, we can save the Face Warp sessions for lighter times!' Sigh. I guess I'll have to live with a narrow jawline for the rest of my blessed life. Though I don't know if I'll come out of the second extraction session (the first one left me a mere shell of my former self), clapping my hands in glee and singing hallelujahs. Instead, like the last time around, I'm gonna have to contend with a swollen jaw, immense pain and sleepless nights. Not to mention the persecution that one undergoes while the said troublesome tooth is being pinched out, what with the instruments that are used to facilitate the process resembling something that would grace the sets of a horror film instead. Or a veterinary hospital for that matter. Maybe a psycho's lab would be more appropriate.

The pain does not give me the heebie-jeebies. I've always found physical pain more endurable than mental anguish. Given a choice, I'd pick the former. But to watch someone afflicting the same with spine-chilling instruments is a no-no for me (reference - the movie 'Hostel').

I step into the war-room with a small prayer on my lips and my eyes stubbornly shut... Wake me up when it all ends...

No comments: