Friday, March 27, 2009

Sweetest Kid

The strangest thing happened today. I have never encountered it before, after all, it's not something that occurs daily. Here I was, minding my own business, perched on a rickety seat of a rickshaw; casting a perfunctory, bored glance around myself, as is the custom when one is by oneself in a lonely rickshaw (if you count the driver out). Having successfully negotiated the countless potholes/khaddaas/jaywalkers/cyclists/motorists & various other hurdles on the nightmare that is called the Andheri-Kurla road, the rickshaw finally comes to a halt at a traffic signal (the one at the Andheri flyover). Suddenly, a host of little kids appear from nowhere, sprinting purposefully to each vehicle, glaring into rolled-up glasses, grinning from ear-to-ear, waving their myriad wares in front of the vehicle's occupant/s. Most dismiss them by not even responding with a 'no', others quickly delve into respective purses and make a hasty purchase. I wasn't spared the routine and up comes to me this sweet-looking girl (with several teeth missing) selling that something that every girl wishes her guy would shower her with. Roses. Lots of them. Bright red. Sprinkled with several water drops, the delicate petals thus glinting in the evening sun. A simple affair.... yet, so riveting, so inviting. Alas, I was but a solitary girl. With no guy sitting beside, so that I could cast a longing eye at the said bunch, thus indirectly signalling to the poor guy that I would like one, thank you very much. So here I was thinking it would be very silly indeed to buy a rose for myself. So I nodded vigorously at the kid, saying no, I don't want them. She looks a trifle disappointed. But then, suddenly, her face transforms. A wide smile lightens up her smudgy face. Her hand dives right into the bunch, picks a reddish bud and thrusts it right into my hand. Just like that. And then she's off. Doesn't wait for her dues. Simply vanished before I could even mouthe 'Wha...!' For a minute I simply sat there, looking dumbly at the rose in my hand. Why did she give ME a rose? What was I to her? Why didn't she take any money? Why did she run away? Why, why, why????

Having found no answers to the questions accumulating in my head... I come out of my stupid daze. It strikes me I must give the kid something. Anything. Even a candy would do. But the lights turn green, the rickshaw speeds away and away and away from the adorable kid.... snatching away my chance to say atleast a heartfelt 'thank you'. Tell her how she made my day by her innocent, totally uncalled-for, yet terribly sweet gesture. Tell her that I must reward her, perhaps click a picture of her and post it to the 'City of Angels' column in TOI. Cause she was truly an angel in disguise, fluttering around, bringing smiles to peoples' faces.

I hope I meet her again. So that I can thank her, smile back at her, gift her atleast a candy or a chocolate bar. I want to make her day a happy one. Just as she did for me.

The rose

2 comments:

Avanti said...

Hey Nishant, thanks for stopping by! Why, that's the smartest suggestion I've heard! Will do it right away! :)
PS: Little Manhattan is such an adorable movie!

Anky said...

Interesting stuff....


Why do these things never happen to me.. this is the 2nd time I am putting this on your blog!!!!!!!!!

Some people are just lucky!