Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Travelogues - Part II (Mussoorie-Dehradun-Nainital)

After a refreshing stay at Mussoorie, Nainital was next on the agenda. Though not as beautiful as Mussoorie, it nevertheless has a few tourist attractions... namely cable cars, a lake where one could enjoy boating and the Nainadevi temple. Our resort wasn't anything to write home about, but it was situated right in the middle of 3 mountains. Overlooking a large lake, little hamlets and scenic farmlands. The highlight of our stay here was a 2 hour trek (only Deeps and myself) in these mountains where we spoke to locals, clicked pictures with kids, ascended and descended mountains - off the beaten track that is.

Pics of the Nainital stay:

En-route to Nainital

At Dehradun, our bus dutifully parked alongside


At Dehradun


Splendid view from our resort, Khurpatal, Nainital



Farmlands of Khurpatal, Nainital


Serene view from Naini Lake, Nainital


Shikara ride, Naini Lake, Nainital



Those are the smiles the shikara drivers gave when we asked them to pose for our cameras



Nainadevi Temple viewed from the Naini Lake


Ritual of tying red scarfs at the temple



The temple (notice the priest peeping out)



That's tall!


Atop hills, as usual (Snow View Point, Nainital)



A stately pine tree at Snow View Point, Nainital


View from Cable Car, Snow View Point


Another View (Naini Lake on the left)



Our resort (top right) as viewed from the ghats, Khurpatal, Nainital



Bonzo, the adorable four-legged guest at our resort, Nainital


Fooling around with 'pahadi' kids, Khurpatal


A dangerous perch, but with a beautiful view

6 comments:

Mihir said...

JEALOUS!

Something I always wanted and want to do.. I wish if I join travel and living or discovery channel and explore whole country...

Was it a pleasure trip? How long it took? What was the route? Was it a backpacking trip?

Mihir said...

JEALOUS!

Something I always wanted and want to do.. I wish if I join travel and living or discovery channel and explore whole country...

Was it a pleasure trip? How long it took? What was the route? Was it a backpacking trip?

Avanti said...

Thank u Mihir! If u do get in Travel n Living, do put in a word for me as well ;)
Traveling is my passion too, something i love to do in my spare time.
The trip took 7 days.. Not for the faint hearted cos it involved lots of bhagam-daud.. We must've covered almost a thousand kms by road! Though we were on a tour with 20 others, it felt like a thorough back-packing trip. The route was delhi-mussoorie-nainital-corbett-ranikhet-nainital-delhi..

Mihir said...

Wow! You had a ball Avanti! One place which took my attention - Corbett. This is one place which I definitely want to visit...

Backpacking is an addiction and I realized it's not something which everyone can do or enjoy.. I know some of my friend, who were wondering how one can do unorganized backpacking trip... It's fun! It's so much of fun to meet people, know cultures, eat local food, drive on unknown roads,laze and see the world at your own will and pace... Even while writing this, I am feeling so thrilled!

Even photographs.. I agree with you that taking unusual pics is lot more fun than standard what-everyone-clicks type of pics. Last evening, I was thinking about the same and felt someday, I will publish my own book with the most candid photos I have / will take..

Wishes! Wishes! So many of them!

I am thinking of a way to be a professional traveler.. where you can travel and earn out of it.. still thinking as it's not something readily available in India at least... Let's see if I can think of a way or if God decides to be kind to me and throw a surprise!

Keep on traveling and keep on writing and keep on making me Jealous :-)

Cheers

Avanti said...

Gosh! You have inspired me to travel more frequently....! I wholeheartedly agree with all your observations. Though I have been to many places in India, I now realize there's so many things I didn't do (like you said... travel little-known roads, meet local people, talk to them, eat local food etc.) I try to incorporate all that in my trips now and my journey takes on a new meaning, a new joy! Now, that does justice to the word 'traveler'... and not just tagging along with your parents/siblings and traversing down the beaten track, doing cliched stuff and taking the routine snaps.
Its not easy to meet like-minded people who share similar views on travel. Glad you came by and rest assured, I will keep you posted on (hopefully) many more trips to come! Also, I'll bet I'd be the first buyer of that book of photographs of yours!
Cheers and have a happy time discovering the unknown India!

Mihir said...

Nice to see your reply Avanti :-) Well...For a month or so, I am living two lives every single day. While my brain is telling me to do my job for living, my heart is asking me to go for happiness...to be a backpacker and explore the world.. The tussle is still on and I don't see any end to this in near future...

Tourist and Travelers are different. I am glad you got my point! Try to be a traveler next time and you will discover whole new meaning and purpose!

Here is what I mean by being a traveler.. this is from my trip to Hampi which I did in March.. I am sure you would love to read and feel little jealous :-)

http://www.mihironline.com/2009/03/hampi-dream-i-always-cherished.html

Take care and keep writing!

Cheers