Monday, October 5, 2009

Fine Dine Pantomime

(From Wikianswers)

Fine dining restaurants generally have the following services and requirements:

Dress Code: In most cases a fine dining restaurant will not permit jeans, t-shirts, hats and may even require a suit jacket and tie.
Service: The service at a fine dining restaurant will generally be top notch. Expect each table to have no less than two servers directly responsible for it and a Maitre 'D overseeing service.
Menu: The menu at fine dining restaurants tends to be extremely classy with high quality ingredients and prepared by a well-known and talented chef with years of industry experience.
Food: Top quality produce treated delicately with respect. Small portions paid with extreme details. Combining food and art concept together. Making food taste good and look good.
Price: Expect to pay a little (to substantially) more for the extra attention to detail. This could range from $30 per person to hundreds - depending on menu and wine selections.
Valet Parking: Many fine dining restaurants offer valet parking for their dining guests.
Reservations: You will likely need to book ahead of your dining experience to ensure you will have a table upon your arrival.

Whoaaaaa!! Such elaborate glitz over something as elementary as feeding a hungry stomach??

I don't understand 'Fine Dining'. I really don't. I also don't comprehend why such ado is made over the 'fine dining experience'. And why the ones who haven't been through this bothersome ordeal are looked upon as neanderthals or worse. No, I'm not writing this piece out of angst or contempt for having been given the bum's rush out of a swanky 5-star restaurant... instead, I have just observed those who 'fine dine' regularly & wax eloquent (not without the accompanying theatrics) about the whole blessed-event. You'd be forgiven to think they've been to paradise and back. I too have been to several swish hotels during my present work tenure. I was at the Leela recently, on a lunch-out with my office colleagues. But frankly, the food was dismal. First of all, the choice was limited. I am spoilt for more alternatives at the local Udupi restaurant. Then, I am forced to pick from some bizarrely-named offerings. They don't even bother to mention the ingredients. I might as well be eating sponge. On second thoughts, atleast it didn't make my throat feel soapy or bubbly. Small consolation that was. For the the food was not even hot. While I was painfully gulping down the chilly fare, my brain was wickedly propping up images of piping hot rotis (dipped in a bowl-full of ghee) I had at a roadside dhaba on the Delhi national highway 2 years back (Yumm!!!) Dessert was the only respite. But wait, that made us toil too. For each offering was in a bowl so tiny, I could play Barbie with it. Granted that dessert is not to be eaten in tubs, but atleast don't make me feel like I'm with Ken out-for-lunch!

Don't get me wrong, the ambiance at these hotels is fabulous. You've got colossal buildings adorned with the most expensive carpets, sculptures, antiques, chandeliers, artificial waterfalls and exotic furniture that money can buy. The inside of the hotel is a labyrinth in itself. Several rooms leading to other rooms. And each more beautiful than the previous. The valet salutes you, the doorman greets you (a man more than twice my age calls me 'Madam') and the waiters fuss over you. But isn't that all so superficial & hollow? Who knows, the doorman might personally think you're a grand old fart. Yet he salutes you, overpowered by the money jingling in your pocket. I say, cut all that jazz and bring on the food mate! That is what concerns me.... not if you call me Madam or not.

Maybe I'm just not hardwired that way - to appreciate the 'finer' details of life or to demand exclusivity. I have nothing against the suave, I'm-sure-they're-important lot who dash in and out of these hotels, shelling out ridiculous amounts of money on a simple lunch that can be had for under 100 bucks. Good for them. They see something I clearly don't. As for me, I'm dashing to my favorite panipuri-wallah tomorrow. His humble (and a thousand times tastier) dole-outs will receive maximum appreciation from me atleast!

12 comments:

Arslan said...

1. LOL!! Especially at "playing Barbie with the dessert".. :D

2. :( Missing hot tasty spicy unhealthy Indian food!! V V much.. :(

Anky said...

Well... there are a few things I would like to point out..
1. As you mentioned, there were waiters and captains, waiting to take your order and serve you, why did you not ask them about the preperation of the cuisine u ordered?

2. Fine Dine experience, although, I dont prefer it a lot, is meant to spend some good time in an amazing ambiance.

3. I agree with you that the portions are very small.

4. Pani Poori, thats 1 common fixation of every Indian girl I have met till date.

Avanti said...

@ Arslan: Haha... tasty, spicy and unhealthy make for an explosive combination!

@ Ankit: Of course I asked the chefs of what were the components of the cuisine. But wouldn't it be much simpler if the details are mentioned? Especially if you've titled the said-cuisine with some strange-sounding name that I bet even purists haven't heard about! (I'm not a food connoisseur, but I'm aware of most cuisine-names) I'm sure it was the fabrication of the chef-in-question itself.

Pani-puri!! Yumm! The name itself activates the salivary glands. Ok now before you belch in disgust, I'll shut up!! ;)

Anky said...

Oh come on...

Isnt someone allowed to name something he/she has made/invented/experimented with? :P

And I never said Pani Puri is bad! I just don't understand the obsession... :)

Avanti said...

I'm not a sucker for neulogisms or any offshoots of them. Simplicity does it for me. As I said, I'm not built that way. For those who can digest weird names being thrown at them (only to later realize its only just a tomato that you're eating) - cheers to you yaar! :)

Pani puri obsession!! Well, just as you sit in a plush hotel, digging in the ambiance and applauding the whacko-names that chefs come up with, we pani-puri enthusiasts love to:
1. Stop at a cart peddling pani-puris (please don't ask for pani-puris in a swanky restaurant, the real thrill comes from eating it by the roadside),
2. Wait for our turn (meanwhile the salivary glands working overtime), wondering how long that fat aunty ahead is gonna take to finish her turn,
3. Gulp down the first puri, immediately feeling a splash of sweet n' sour in your mouth (the wait has been worth it),
$. Gobble up 6 (or more) quick puris, ask for a masala puri, pay the bhaiyya for a good-job done and go back home a satiated person.

Thats the obsession. Can be had for as little as 12 bucks :)

Shikha Khandelwal said...

Well I like the fuss...wateva it is abt!!!

Unknown said...

Yes, sometimes the uber-small portions can get a bit ridiculous..

IMO, Fine Dining(with all the brouhaha involved) should be reserved for special occasions, unless you have the will to splurge money to feed your status symbol..

For those(like me) who feel the pinch in their pockets, satisfying their taste buds is all that matters, not the location per se!

Avanti said...

@ Shikz: Haan yaar... I felt that way initially too... but honestly as I go to more and more hotels like these (dragged along with my colleagues) I'm getting more disillusioned with the whole affair. But as Vivid mentioned, maybe we can go occasionally. But a regualr thingy?? Not my cup of fancy-tea!! :)

@ Vivid: I couldn't agree more!

Diti said...

i completely agree. i just love to go to a restaurant sit up cross legged and eat!
and any place that has a dress code is a no-no for me!

Avanti said...

Yup Diti! That goes for me too....! While I eat, I eat Indian style and chuck all that fake-sophistication!

Unknown said...

Dhaba and local eat-outs for me anyday!

With due regards to those who fine dine at the Hyatts and wherever else, I think the joy of eating is lost with so much of sophistication. I remember one ssuch lunch when one friend's dad visited from Bangkok. Oh my, had to eat parathas with a knife and fork. This is cruel. It felt like a sausage.Arre no fun without desipan! :P

Cheers,

Anu

Avanti said...

Hahaha.... well said Anu! I second your thoughts! Imagine eating parathas with knives and forks. What a sad life to lead!