Her absence is disquieting, the silence is deafening. Initially you hurrah her exit - finally you can do what you please - but it only takes a few lonely hours to snap out of your reverie, suddenly realizing there's pin-drop silence in the house. I don't like it. It renders me restless and cranky. Just like Kamal Hasan in that brilliant movie 'Pushpak' who couldn't sleep without the theatre's loud acoustics running in the background, I need Mom's voice ringing in my head, else it makes me uneasy - her rattling out a thousand instructions, yapping with the maid and relaying endless orders at the speed of 100 orders/min, talking loudly on the phone with her friends, yelling at me since I won't help her out in the kitchen, snapping at me coz I ate out again, complaining to me coz she fought with sis once more, emotionally blackmailing me to consider that 'perfect match' again..... I miss all that! In normal circumstances, I'd be mighty annoyed with her for being such a motormouth. But when she's away, even for a few days, she is sorely missed.
That brings me to a more important question - whatever am I going to do when I move away from home, from her? I realize I am SO dependent on Mom for so many things. Piping hot and lovingly prepared dinner is ready for me when I reach home from work, my bed is reset and my room is neat and in order. I am coerced to eat more, something that I would certainly give a miss when she's not around. A patient ear is also offered, which I gladly accept, in order to recount the day's highs and lows. But all this may very well come to an end. Soon I may have to be on my own. It frightens me to think of how I shall cope. The prospect of departing from under her wings is scary, yet unavoidable.
I don't know why I am missing her so dearly this time around. This is the perhaps the umpteenth time that I am alone at home while Mom has gone away for a while. Maybe its only normal. Or maybe its the looming near of that one important day in every girl's life. The day when she has to leave her home of 25-odd years and shift base to another. I wonder how Mom did it. Or any other woman for that matter. It is a terrifying thought. Maybe I should adopt Mr. Hasan's ways. A recorder will be of great service, for starters.
7 comments:
Beautiful post! A reminder of my own dependence on my mum! How do we get along without them, it's hard, but I'm sure the all her lessons will come back to help you, when u will need them most!:)
Thank you Fafy! Who better to know about this than you since you've left your home for such a distant place!
Perhaps you are right. What we have learnt from our mothers will never fail us. And will be there with us till our last breath :)
Very crisply put together!
Well I have been to similar times, when I went away for2 years to do my MBA... the first time when I washed my clothes in the hostel, I was realised how confortable my life was when I was at home..
Well life teaches you things...
As the dialogue in the epic movie, 'Sholay' goes, 'Jaroorat ne goli chalana sikhaya tha... ab gal bail chalana bhi seekh lenge...'
Best of Luck...
I am so so so DEPENDENT on her yaa.....
@ Ankit: Haha.... well said. I guess you don't learn to swim until you're pushed into the water (kinda extreme but you get the point). As for washing clothes.... gawd... I hope it doesn't come to that. I hope a nice, little washing machine will do that for me ;)
@ Shikz: You bet!! We have turned into lazybums by our Moms!! ;) But strangely, when she's away I can do my chores in a breeze! It doesn't seem so difficult.... of course, doing them DAILY is a different matter!
Well, it's not just girls who leave their home. I've been living away from home since I was 18. So much so that I've long since begun feeling like a guest in my own home.
And now in a new country far far away. :|
Lol @ guest in my own home!! Well Arslan, more guys should go through what you are going through in order to realize what girls go through ;) Also throw in a cranky mother-in-law who's eyeing everything you do with a keen eye (just kidding!)
The initial stages are the toughest. But we all learn to cope gradually. Just like you will in Sweden :)
Post a Comment