Saturday, September 6, 2008

The King

My 3rd visit to Lalbaugcha Raja (LR) was as joyous (and draining) as the previous two. Though I'd gathered enough memories from earlier visits, I wished to go again this year as LR was into its 75th year. Another excuse to beckon me to the place! The amused guy at the ticket counter tried to spook me with ominious numbers - 200 people, he said, with an evil grin. Nearly 200 people bought a ticket to Lower Parel (abode of LR) before me. And I was at the ticket counter at 4.30 am. Truly, Mumbai never sleeps; more so during Ganesh Chaturthi.



Gates of the Lord: 5.50 am. As the 'prophetic' guy at the ticket counter indicated, serpentine queues of teeming people, lined up to have a darshan (even if it meant a mere peek-a-boo) of their favorite God, greeted us. The queue extended to almost a kilometer from the deity. Nearly a thousand people before us. All charged up & raring to go.


Hurdles extravaganza: Not a single soul walked obediently along the stipulated rows. Everyone - youngies, middlies and oldies alike jumped over/crawled under rods with surprising agility & pace, as if they were being chased by a pack of wolves and their lives depended on how fast they sprinted over/under the barricades. Noteworthy mention goes to the aunty in the green saree - I salute thee and thy zealous, gold-medal-worthy leaping skills! In a similar outfit, I would've turned turtle.. and then some more.


A glimpse of the Lord: Mera number kab aayega? (Response: Shrill plea from behind, 'Chala chala, pude chala!' Really now, did you think I was gonna squat & set up a camp here? I AM moving as fast as the person directly ahead is!).



Almost there. (Chala, chala...still).

I failed to take a snap of the Lord up, close & personal. It was too crowded to even lift my hand nigh to click a hasty picture. Plus, you had these annoying volunteers (see harassed guy in sweat-soaked yellow shirt, to the left) growling, baring their teeth at you. Didn't want to give any more fodder to these snarling pitbulls.



Out. 7.30 am. Not bad at all, considering a normal wait would be around 3-5 hrs. We did it in 1 and a half!



GSB Ganpati, Wadala: In its exemplary, golden splendour. Visited the place after Lalbaug. The darshan took a paltry 5 mins in comparison here.

Reached home at 9.15 am. Crashed on the bed and didn't open them eyelids until 2 pm.

4 comments:

deepti kadam said...

Ganpati Bappa morya.....hey gal...din ya mention those weirdo taxiwallahs..."mr. gyaan gyaaneshwar" we met early in the morn and "Mr. Confused" we met later????....lolz...din after all they were the quintessential elements of our pilgrimage!

Avanti said...

Hmmm... you're right... trust you to remember the finer (ahem) nuances of our journey! Hey, I remember the guy with the protuding belly nodding off in the train too! Gee... I SO wanted to take his picture... I think the picture would've won the 'Fight against obesity' contest.

Why don't you describe the taxiwallah jerks in your blog? Oh yeah! And I want the photos you clicked too..

Unknown said...

ganpati bappa morya...must say i also felt like i came wid u.. the pics r gr8 especially for people like me who were willing but couldnt make it.. kudos to u

Avanti said...

Hey thanks Mansi! We missed you!