Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Peeving times

I am sitting back at work late today and I'm terribly cross. There's no reason for this petulant frame of mind (does there have to be? I'm a woman.... now go figure!) that justifies the foul mood I'm in. Maybe its those dratted numbers I look at everyday on the smug, blindingly white screen in front of me. Rows and rows of numbers (down to the 4th decimal.... aaaargh!) all waiting for me to deconstruct them and formulate an opinion. Isn't it funny (or irritating in my case) how the only things in this world that cry for my attention are numbers (not telephone numbers of Greek hunks, dum-dum, but financial numbers.... in annual reports, equity reports, credit reports, report of reports and all that fancy jazz.... damn them all!) Is the entity-in-question in trouble or will it sail through? Does its rating deserve a downgrade? What! An upgrade? In THIS environment? Have you been drinking again? I say, they could all deep fry in hell for all I care. But then, I get paid for analysing such numbers, so maybe I shouldn't grumble much. Coming back to the crux of this very vexatious post, I'm still not done being generally pissed off at the whole wide world at large. So much so that I want to hurl this keyboard at someone really annoying, for instance and watch the unfortunate chap wince. To add more depth to the present intense mood I am in, I start thinking about things that really bug me. It could be anything - people, their acts, freaks of nature, nature itself.... anything and everything qualifies for my complete and unwavering distaste for them. So here's the infamous list I've annoyingly compiled, the end-result of which only irritates me more as it makes me wanna hurl the entire row of computers in my immediate line-of-vision at anyone who dares meddle with me today. So, before you brand me as an obnoxious & insufferable fusspot, without further ado, I present the 10 things that put me off, royally. (This is infact an exercise in futility, as it hasn't calmed me down at all). Anyhoo.... here they are:

1. Reading annual reports (no grand surprise at all, as that's what got me started on this fret-trip in the first place, innit?)
2. Loud talking on the phone (missed the No.1 spot by a whisker; this particular act is really bothersome as it makes me feel like I practically know the person at the end of the day, thanks to his/her ear-splitting voice)
3. Too much talking (some people just won't stop... zaraa zubaan be lagaam daalo, berehamiyon!)
4. An irritating 'No' when you ask the rickshaw-wallah 'I.C. Colony jaaoge?' Grrr... why are you driving your gas-guzzling, fat-arse rickshaw in the first place if you don't wanna go anywhere?
5. People wasting water - the maid with the water tap on when the bucket's full; Mom, when she's washing vegetables atleast 5 times (totally unecessary!); public toilets where the water tap keeps running; that huge tank carrying water, half of which is leaking away etc etc.
6. Ego-maniacs, show-offs & self-obsessed people (do I need to elucidate more? I meet my fair share of such losers DAILY!)
7. When it rains just when I step out from home. Now there's no avoiding that muck that will generously spray on your brand new outfit today.
8. Liars. I truly despise them.
9. Mumbai's crowded trains. Not to add, the filth around (spit, garbage, dead crows, stray dogs, plastic... yuck!)
10. The 'Work in Progress' sign on the road. Our safari-clad-babus have a knack for handpicking the smoothest of roads for digging by giving some godforsaken reason: telephone cable repair, sewer repair, pothole repair etc etc. This 'progressing work' will invariably go on for a decade. Even ants work faster! Its such a nightmare to drive on Mumbai's dug-up roads.

Oh I could go on and on. But then your brain would perhaps suffer a haemorrhage (its a miracle if you're still reading this by now). So, in cognizance of your well-being and the fact that its 8.05 pm now and I haven't left the office (GOSH!... I gotta run!) I will stop. Until my next tirade!

No comments: