Thursday, July 30, 2009

The First Time

The first scratch on a brand new car hurts. A lot. Especially when the car is your own. It is as though you're bruised and relegated to a world of pain. What bothers me the most is that my car didn't acquire the said scratch as an outcome of frenzied driving from my end (which I do occasionally, much to the chagrin of other motorists on the roads). It didn't happen 'cause I was speeding the tires off the car or bumped it into a rickshaw (that suddenly changed lanes) or an aggressively-looming-in-your-mirrors BIG, BAD BEST bus. These days, I drive my car to work daily, and ply on the Western-Express highway, Aarey and Andheri-Kurla roads which are plagued with motorists that drive amok, like lunatics. You have to be super-alert during every second of the drive. However, nothing happens then. My drive is event-free and quite smooth. Instead this particular deed was done while turning into a very tight corner in the backyard of my very own building! A turn that I have been taking for the past 7 years! Something I'd perfected and mastered. And now, here I was.... taking a turn that I presumed I was taking appropriately..... and suddenly there's this grating voice. As though someone took a knife and grazed the skin off your knees with it. Savagely and brutally. My insides churned and my eyes shut tightly close. But to what avail? The deed was done and the scratch was there, sneering at me like a stubborn child who's just got its way.

The scratch isn't significant and can hardly be noticed, but its right there.... just like an old lover whose memories won't fade away. I am pretty upset with myself for being so careless, so clumsy. Maybe I'd fix the scratch during the next service for the car. Paint over it a bit and patch it up. But sadly, the dent will remain. Forever.

7 comments:

Indy said...

Oh how bad! so strange that these happen on tried and tested routes that we think we hve perfected! Sheesh! well, hope it's a quick repair!

Nice post! Liked the "old lover" simile! haha!

Avanti said...

Thanks for the support, Fafy! Atleast you didn't say I was a bad driver! (bet my parents will say that ;) Most people would say women are hopeless drivers, but they're not! They're just unfortunate to be caught up in the male dominion (i.e. w.r.t. roads)!

Arslan said...

This post may be the silver lining that came out of the scratch. Really nice description. :)

Avanti said...

Thank you Arslan! :)

Hemal Shah said...

It hurts more when its your own mistake.

As you commented on being caught up in the male dominion, i must say that most accidents where women is involved happen coz they mostly get confused and a quick reaction comes a bit late, may be the delay is just out of fear

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Haha! But for the last line, I'd almost think that you concluded that women are slow. Indeed, they are not. Yes, it is partly fear and partly consideration for other motorists on the road (no matter how brash they are) that makes them more cautious drivers :)