Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Confessions of the Honest kind

She isn't here, again. That naturally means I HAVE to fill in her unwanted shoes - this woeful predicament including cleaning/mopping the house, tossing up some godawful-preparation-that-more-or-less-resembles-chapatis, feeding salty bhajis/watery dals to dad & sis (they're probably pleading for mercy by now), filling empty refrigerator bottles (bottomless pits, I tell you), washing utensils, drying clothes, buying vegetables from the swindling bhajiwaala, attending the door (incredibly irritating especially when you're in the midst of burning a perfectly rhombus-shaped chapati), picking up the screaming telephone (ok ok.... I ignore 9 out of 10 calls) and what not! And to top it all - it is such a thankless exercise. Retribution is merely a mirage. Exactly 10 minutes after you've transformed the kitchen into a sparklingly clean place (no magic wand, mind you.... a humble mop does it after 20 minutes of back-breaking effort), devoid of the colossal mess it was half-an-hour ago, it reverts back to its original dumpy state. Classic case of the Midas un-touch. How tremendous is that? Even for someone with the patience of a saint (me), it is extremely exasperating! By now I passionately *hate* household chores, cooking topping the list.... I'm a disaster, you'd rather starve than gulp down any of my pathetic culinary attempts! I wasn't born to do it (yeah yeah... silver spoon and all). My friends tell me with profound wisdom, "Accha 'training' ho raha hai...." Deep, huh? Lord help the unfortunate recipient of all this 'training' that I'm undergoing. He should go jump off a cliff right now and save himself some serious constipation.
blogger-emoticon.blogspot.com
So there it is.... I feel SO much better, now that I've got it down in writing and you, poor reader, as usual have to bear the full brunt. The whining 'ol Avanti is back with a dustbin bag.... err.... I mean - bang!!
blogger-emoticon.blogspot.com
Anyway, coming to brighter, more promising things.... I have been tagged by the lovely, much-too-generous Anu. Why she (or anyone else) should consider me tag-worthy boggles even the smartest of minds; and since I've hardly ever been famous for having one, I'll cut the needless ruminating about. So, without further ado, I hereby obediently respond to Anu's tag, the awful delay notwithstanding:

Here's the deal - I must enlist 10 honest things about myself. Ha! I think I've been more honest than a real estate agent trying to palm off a haunted house to you. People often ask why I disclose so much about myself in such a public forum. I say it is because I have nothing to hide. Quite simple it is.
blogger-emoticon.blogspot.com
I might as well compile the list rightaway. Statutory Warning: If and when you reach the end of this post, most of you will think I'm a freak. Its tough to pick only 10 of my freakiest habits, but a list must end somewhere. So here it goes:

1. I obsess. Over inconsequential things that I ought not to obsess over. Like that renegade drop of water on the floor or the oil ring that a bottle of oil leaves behind (mop comes out immediately, fierce scrubbing ensues). Also other stupid, silly things like which side of the bed sheet covers my face (I tie a little knot at one end to identify the side, so that the side that shrouds the legs will never cover my face the next time), the number of times I should wash my hair in a week, cleaning of own plates/spoons with a paper-napkin before dining at a restaurant, flushing a public toilet even if it has been flushed clean by the previous occupant, the placement of things on my desk (can't leave their slotted place) and other such freaksome habits. So yeah, I suffer from a mild bout of OCD. Painful stuff.
blogger-emoticon.blogspot.com
2. I love compliments. Who doesn't? But wait, here's when it gets funny. When I do get a generous word of praise or two, I just don't bluhdy know how to handle it! Sample this -

Instance 1:
Person A: "Nice earrings, Avanti!"
Avanti: Oh, they are? I think they make my ears droop....
(*wouldn't mind if you'd slapped me right then*)

Instance 2:
Person B: " Wow! You drive the car really well"
Avanti: "Yeah well, you see that dent there - I bumped into a big bad bus the other day....."
(*you can shoot me too now*)

Instance 3:
Person C: "That was a brilliant report, Avanti!"
Avanti: "Yeah, but I don't like the 2 spelling errors I made... I just don't know HOW it happened...!"
(Did anyone say modesty is a virtue? Well, I should be hanged for it)
blogger-emoticon.blogspot.com
3. Despite the alleged 'opulent' lifestyle I lead (my only claim to extravagance being a car, a Macbook Pro and a closetful of clothes that I own), I honestly will not fret over loss of the same. Neither do I mind being married to a pauper. I do not crave for the material world. Its just that when I have the means, I go ahead and buy insanely expensive stuff. I'm only too happy to let it all go if need be. (this is not some monk-who-sold-his-ferrari crap... I really mean it).
blogger-emoticon.blogspot.com
4. If I see a similar outfit (that I also possess) on any other chick, I will NEVER wear it again. Duplicity is unforgivable!

5. I don't drink tea or coffee. Only bhais ka doodh for me. Go ahead and laugh now.
blogger-emoticon.blogspot.com
6. Despite the intimidating, fiercely-independent image that I tend to project, I'm still old-fashioned. If I ever pen a romantic tale, in it guys would chase girls and girls would be coy and shy. Darcy remains my favorite hero till date. They don't make more like him anymore!
blogger-emoticon.blogspot.com
7. As a kid, I was a tomboy. Right from cropped hair to an astute dislike for barbies, there was a point in time when I excelled at all things boyish. Playing cricket, strumming the guitar, a craze for video-games (Wolf 3D, NFS Underground, GTA3, Quake 3, Ghost Recon and Formula 1 Racing '99 were my forte), watching WWF, F1, having a weakness for sneakers.... you see.... pretty much everything except whistling or hooting at girls (thank God for small mercies). I'm pretty much reformed now, behave more like a girl and do nothing that I did as a kid. Not that I regret doing them. We all have our phases.

8. The best gift to give me is a book. Fiction only, mind you. The thicker it is, the better. I love the smell of new books. Also fresh newspapers, paint and kerosene. That's it. No more weird stuff.
blogger-emoticon.blogspot.com
9. I've had 3 serious crushes till now. One lasted a good 4 years. Never spoke to ANY of them till date. Never found the spunk to.

10. I'm not easily amused. Santa-Banta jokes won't work on me. Nope, not even a polite laugh. Only Rakhi Sawant makes me laugh. She never fails. I admire her for that.

There you go! Whew! That was tough. I have weirder stuff up my sleeves, but I'll save it for another time (can hear collective sighs of relief). After all, I still need to maintain my scarce audience, don't I?
blogger-emoticon.blogspot.com
Oh, I need to do one more bit - here are the sweethearts that I must tag (rules, what can I do?). Go ahead, darlings! Confess!

15 comments:

Indy said...

hey... such nice points! And gives a great insight into the person you are...! Will definitely try this one!But your confessions were all so unique and interesting I'll have a tough time coming up with ten nice ones!:)

The Man With No Name said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anky said...

Why MEEEEE?????????

Avanti said...

@Indy: Thanks a tonne Fafy! I'm sure you have many interesting things to say about yourself! Take your time... I'm sure you'll recall all! :)

@Shup:I forgot to add one more thing in my honest confession list - I do not respond very amiably to 2 quick slaps on my cheek. Infact it can be quite violent. Might involve broken noses and dislocated jaws. There's this little problem about me being atleast 2 sizes smaller than you are. But I'm sure I can work that around. Maybe we can all get you sloshed enough to make you think I'm 10 times bigger ;)
On a serious note.... yeah, it isn't a wonder I worry too much. Sometimes I even worry about worrying too much. Does not amend my plight of course. Guess I just have to live with it and the others, bear with it :(
Oh you wouldn't relate to Darcy. Your friend was probably being sarcastic. Coz you aren't anything like him, despite the alleged 'funny and charismatic' burden that you love to carry about ;) You're good the way you are, honestly! Don't let others say otherwise :) And hey, I'm not being caustic when I say that!

@Ankit: Why not?? Its about time you tell us all about you....

The Man With No Name said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shikha Khandelwal said...

Avy I was very happy and became happier as I kept readin on further (Na Na no sadistic pleasure in ur plight wen Aunty is not around) jus that I knew ALMOST or MOST of the above mentioned confessions ... it reinforced our friendship (though it wasn't needed...)

Some credit goes to our CA Final for the various walk the talks remember!!!

Its just the END ka taggin that ummm.... I dunno wht to state ... Am I weird enuf for Ten as distinguished points as yours...wat say???

Avanti said...

Of course I remember the walks, Shikz! They were the only escape I had from all that tedious studying-about for CA!! And you were the best interviewer ever!! I almost ended up asking you lame questions... lol!
And yes, I'm glad you know most of my bizzare habits ;) Now list yours and lemme see if I know any of them!! It shouldn't be too hard... ! :)

Arslan said...

Well, that certainly is a hard act to follow!! I can't count the number of lol turn of phrases there.. Really cute emoticons too.. :)

It'll be really tough to reveal honest stuff about myself and still keep it interesting. Lets see.. No deadline, right?

Avanti said...

Thanks Arslan! :) I lol'ed a lot too, at the expense of myself though ;)
As for the tag deadline - there's no such thing! Especially since I haven't replied to YOUR tag yet! *head droops shamefully* Remember? I still have to do the post about my favorite books... I COMPLETELY forgot about that until now!! :O

Arslan said...

Lol.. Apparently, so did I!

And great work on the improving indirank. It is well deserved. And no, you don't have to 'handle' this compliment.. :)

Avanti said...

Awwww.... thanks Arslan! I do what I can do! :)

deepti kadam said...

Agree with Arslan..those emoticons are cute. Din know u played cric too...faintly remember u mentioned it smeday...but wuzn't dead sure since u r crazy bt guyz playin soccer & schumii ;)
I guess...if i pen down my confessions ...those won't be NEWS for you...;)...but....u've given me food for thought!...surely come back on this...

Avanti said...

Deeps... yeah... I did play cricket too... with all the chintar-pintar folk ;) Though I did play with the bada guys too... they allowed me to hit a few boundaries ;) As for guys playing soccer and Schumi.... I'm still madly in love with them ;) And I would be curious to read your confessions.... I'm sure you have something in your memory that you haven't told us yet ;)

deepti kadam said...

http://deeptikadam.blogspot.com/2010/02/re-confessions-of-honest-kind.html

Unknown said...

Oh boy, I did actually miss this! :)

ROFL-ed over point 1 :D same pinch for #2, put in a better fashion than mine was :)

About duplicity, try Satya Paul, Ritu Beri and the likes, girl. Thats the only way you can save your wardrobe(and use it too :)

Tomboy as a child? LOL. same pinch again :P I was too much into Trump Cards too.. U know? Those Hulk Hogan, Yokozuna, Undertaker ones. Hoo boy, I REMEMBER!! :P

Point 8, noted! :) If u like the smell of kerosene, you should be liking that of petrol too. Man, someday I am going to try drinking some of it :|

Task well done, Captain! Over and out and much love!! :D