Saturday, August 29, 2009

Bappa Moraya!

Am in the Ganpati-mood now. No, not that streetside-dance-thingy. The festival of Ganesh Chaturthi brings with it a lot of mirth and din. I like visiting as many Mandals (just to view the brouhaha within) as I can; though this time, the number was fewer. Nonetheless, here are some pics taken from my visits to various Ganesh Mandals this year. May Ganpati Bappa bless us all, and most importantly - help us to stay content with what he has blessed us with!

Starting with the much-loved Raja - Lalbaugcha Ganpati. Stood in the serpentine queue for 2 and half hours (Byculla to Lower Parel) to get darshan of this famed diety. But in the end, it is always worth it. The Lord always gives you his audience and always listens to your prayers :)

Ganesh Galli Ganpati: This particular Mandal has traditionally been housing one of the tallest Ganpatis in the city. This year's theme was Kedarnath. The replica outside the Mandal was stunningly similar and I felt like I was visiting Kedarnath for the 2nd time.


IC Colony Ganpati: Ah! This is the resident deity! IC Colony is famed for installing beautifully-adorned Ganpati idols. This one's face is angelic!

LIC Ganpati: I've been visiting this Mandal sice I was a kid (since it is bang opposite Gran's house). They always have a theme which has a social message. Lots of oldies gather here and Mom/Dad seem to know everybody who visit this Mandal. Fun stuff!

ITC Grand Maratha Ganpati: Beautiful decorations! I bet the idol won't be immersed though :)

4 comments:

Indy said...

Hey new post! :) Wow have u changed ur wall paper? It looks cool!

We used to have a huge Ganesha in our building compound every year in Mumbai, and we used to enjoy watching the festivities from the window, the daily pujas,the music and the special movie they played on a screen for all to watch, on our street at night! It was one colourful time,and when it was time to go, the whole street became quiet thereafter,till the next time!

Shikha Khandelwal said...

I hv truly njoid this festival onli whn I was in Nasik.....whn I was chintoo bintoo....

Avanti said...

@ Fafy: Thanks a tonne hun! I'm only trying to be as adventurous as you are.... changing templates as often as I can so that it gives you a refreshing feel! :)
You seem to have had a lot of fun during this festival. We still have all that you mentioned around and the kids are most excited of the lot! :)

@ Shikz: Why not in Mumbai?

Anonymous said...

hey nice one.......Ganpati Bappa Morya :)