Monday, August 24, 2009

What a Drainer!

They were all over me. Someone was pulling my leg, the other was brutally pulling my arm, someone else was yanking my face and someone had his hands over my eyes so firmly, that I thought I was gonna lose the daylights outta me.

No, this isn't a horror flick starring me as the screaming, high school sidey-heroine (who's about to get her arms and legs chopped gruesomely) and undead zombies rapidly crowding around, all waiting for a piece of my flesh (not that there is much). Instead, this was the plight of my friends and me, at 'Ashray' in Bandra, where we had enrolled ourselves for the 'Teach India' campaign. The moment we entered and waved a friendly 'hi' at the kids, they mobbed us, took us by our hands to the other room where there were more kids, and started reciting their names rapidly (Karthik, Kusum, Vaishali, Tanmay, Rohit, Madan, Karishma, Aditi, Rahul, Avinash.... gosh that's all I can remember!). My memory was put to the test, as I had to say their names correctly when they came asking for it the next time around. After a very confusing round of introductions (resulting in me firmly squatting on the ground, as the children wouldn't let me get up), I finally gathered my wits and stood up clumsily, checking meanwhile if all my limbs were in working condition. They thankfully were, but the kids hadn't even begun their onslaught yet. They were SO energetic and lively!!! They were sprinting all over the place like little chickens let out of their coops and we were, like their poor keepers, in hot pursuit, failing miserably to bring them under control. Finally, I managed to grab their attention by announcing a game ' Fire in the Mountain'. 'Run run run,' they responded, but exactly for 2 minutes. We played Tug-of War too. But only for a few minutes. Then they were off again, running around, engaging in brawls, fisticuffs and random somersaults. They were uncontrollable, abusive and amok; the 3 of us barely managing to keep up!

That was our first, very eventful day at Ashray, at the end of which we were mere shadows of our previous selves. The kids had drained every ounce of energy outta us. The teachers at municipal schools - you have gained my respect. It ain't easy to control these tiny tots. We did manage to do something constructive though, we taught multiplication tables to some kids and the English alphabets to the others. Looking back, I do think I enjoyed myself, especially while playing with the kids. It reminded me of my childhood, spent under the hot sun, playing numerous games with my friends - fighting, screaming, yelling, brawling..... These kids here are reflections of me, only a whole lot younger. This wasn't meant to be a piece of cake in the first place. I was armed with that knowledge before I stepped into Ashray. What I have to do is try my best to gain their trust and their love. After all, it was only my first day. Its only going to get a lot easier from now on.

Right?

12 comments:

Arslan said...

Lol! :D

What standard are these kids in? Or do you have a mixed class of kids of all sizes?

The satisfaction you'll get from having made a difference to them will keep you going, I'm sure. :)

and lol at the 'random somersaults'! :D

Avanti said...

Its a mixed bag... but I interacted with the ones in primary school (1st-2nd standard) I honestly felt like I was on a wild-goose chase the whole time. 90% of the time I was in pursuit of these sprightly kids :) It was major fun though, in retrospective!

And yes, you should watch them somesault.... you'll be amazed! I'll post some pictures soon! :)

Indy said...

My God! This sounds like chaos! Wow! Hope you do get some teaching done! hehe! We had so ething called "each one, teach one" years ago, when literacy was being pushed, during my school or was it uni days.I forget! Good luck, his seems like a nice challenge!

Arslan said...

Would love to see them somersaults! :)

And you've been tagged: http://arslanaziz.blogspot.com/2009/08/bloggerly-duties-2-15-books-tag.html

I don't know why, but I feel like apologizing whenever I tag someone. So, sorry. :|

Avanti said...

@ Fafy: Chaos is the right word!! Chaos reigned supreme at this centre, and we were left hapless and in desperate need of energy boosts at the end of it all... but yeah... we are trying to get teaching done... after all the kids will take some time to get to know us. So, being patient with them is to be our mantra all along! :)

@ Arslan: Will surely get the pics next time! And what's this tagging business?? Now you've forced me to pen reviews of books I've read!!! Don't I crib enough already? ;)

Shikha Khandelwal said...

If I can add on to it.... remember how the kids showed off their origami skills.... with aeroplanes flyin all around....and their other favourite game..."chuha billi".... I dunno why they called it that so...Lol!!!!

Shikha Khandelwal said...

Drained it did indeed but I m sure it will be our gr8 stress buster in times to come....

Avanti said...

lol @ origami.... I think you're just being kind Shikz... they were just shabbily folding bits of papers (my heart bled at the rate they were tearing them from books)and pretending they were aeroplanes! ;) But yeah, that was damn cute!!
And you're right.... its definitely gonna beat stress going forward! :)

Indy said...

And where are you?

Anonymous said...

ha ha :)
gud job girls...I m proud :)
I m sure u r going to do better everyday..

Anky said...

Interesting....

Hopefully I too will associate myself with something similar once I finally settle somewhere... :)

Avanti said...

You won't regret it Ankit! It is one experience that will make you happy for a long time! :)