Thursday, August 13, 2009

Bloody Swine! (No, I'm not swearing!)

The sights are bewildering. Everywhere I go there are people enveloped in extreme paranoia, they are donning huge masks - some are equipped with the pricey N95 and some make do with the poor man's equivalent of it (which is so thin, its a joke) - hoping that the paltry strip of sponge will shield them from the dreaded virus - the swine flu virus. However, it is not the virus itself that has created so much furore and hubbub - the sole point of discussion dominating our jumpy news channels (do they need an excuse to go all berserk? They'll even run a 'breaking news' segment if the local stray dog pisses in a ditch), morning meetings with colleagues & chai-time conversations with friends. The culprit is fear, so much so that it has turned into a contagious mania - an epidemic of fear. Schools are shut, collegians are told to go chill at home, cinema halls are shutting their doors (damn! I SO wanted to watch Kaminey) and the National Health Minister has proclaimed that 1/3rd of Indians are going to be infected with the virus by the end of 2010. Someone should go slap him silly. We have more people infected with AIDS in this gawd-help-us country. We don't need statistics, Mr. Minister. We don't need to hear the death toll every morning, Mr. News Channel Editor. What we need is you to STOP dishing out fear, mania and useless statistics. The virus will run its course, like millions of more dangerous viruses do - it may cause deaths for some or it may wane away for some . All we need to do is stay clean and healthy. But please don't spread fear with this incessant broadcasting of doom and gloom. Leave that to RGV and his factory of frighteningly horrifying films. And you don't need an expert to tell you THAT.

10 comments:

Indy said...

Take care! Stay safe...we had a really bad time during swine flu and before that when Sars hit the city!Precautions against it are the only way! And build up ressitance too!

Shikha Khandelwal said...

ppl r busy buildin up "overnite" immunity.....

Avanti said...

@Fafy (Indy): Thanks a lot sweetheart! And I agree with you that playing it safe is the only way to go!
@ Shikz: 'Overnite' community? Main samjhi nahi!

Shikha Khandelwal said...

overnite "community"?? nahi overnite immunity.....

busy buidin "Body ka immune system" overnight.....

Shikha Khandelwal said...

buildin*

Afsha said...

Ooh, did you receive a poorly written wanna - be mass informative email as well? it was sent to me by a fellow blogger and honestly, it was only the intention of it that made me read through it again. I'm in England for the time being and things here are pretty much crazy too, sans the masks of course. But personally, I love these little periods of media obsession because they give us something to ramble on about. keep blogging babe! xx

AD said...

So true. There are more deaths from malaria than swine flu. Since swine flu is a new entrant in the disease dictionary, there is so much noise. Not to undermine the dangers of the virus, but the newer, the noisier!

Avanti said...

@Shikz: Now I understand... Dhat!

@Afsha: Yes, amusing is the right word. Its all looking very comical now. A definite source of entertainment in times where we are deprived of the same! :) And yes, the hysteria is much more controlled in London, I hear. Anyway! Take care!

@AD: That is the EXACT thing I'm trying to tell as many people around me! But these dumbos hardly understand! They love all this hullabaloo!

Hemal Shah said...

With Swine Flu terror attack spread world wide, a few jokers found innovative way to promote the preventive measures even for aids. Its just a bit more of what it should be.

And if you all didnt know, this very Swine Flu struck after 1st world war (dont know the period) and killed almost 2 Million (read it some where)all over the world.

I agree prevention is always better than cure.

Unknown said...

Yes Yes Yes! Now only we could broadcast all that... this awareness is so important! I'm real mad at our jittery junta! They need to stop panicking!