Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Grand ol' Dame

She was born in 1916. She's never been hospitalized, never had any ailment, never had so much as even a bruise in all of her glorious 93 years. Yes, read that again. My grandma's maasi has astonishingly lived a staggering 93 years of life on this planet without consulting the medical profession. Yet, here she was lying on a hospital bed. The reason? A petty fall, of all the darned reasons in the world. This enterprising old chick (sorry ajji.... but you are one rocking 'chick'!), on one sunny day, felt it necessary to step out of her abode, to hunt for flowers to adorn her abode's deity with. In the process, while standing on her dainty but tired toes, she lost her sense of balance and took a nasty fall. A few bones broke and her hip dislocated. Piercing pain ensued and it was more than her fragile body could take. Result - hospitalization.

Note that this lady has encountered me maybe once or twice in her laudable life. Yet she remembers me like it was just our last meeting. All this at the ripe age of 93! I keep reiterating this number cause I want to remind myself how inferior I am in comparison to this enigmatic lady. Hell, sometimes I don't remember what happened five minutes ago! I don't remember half the people I've met only once or twice in my life. And here was this amazing ol' granny who recognized me in an instant, took my hands and caressed it, thanked me for coming to check on her and hugged me like I was her own child. Such tenderness and love! I was truly moved.

Someone wisely said - Old is Gold. I still see the love and care in the eyes of my aged relatives, them having the same intensity that I saw decades back. My maternal grandparents top the list. They love me more than my parents do. Who said that the old are boring, intrusive and meddling? With the right amount of care and approach towards them, they too can be your best friends! Trust me! I found a new friend, aged 93!

No comments: