Friday, June 5, 2009

Sleeping Duties

What is with people who are traveling in public transport who subsequently lose control over the position of their eyelids, the latter steadily descending downwards, the brain slowing losing its consciousness and the head gradually lolling over onto the unfortunate, unaware chap parked beside? To the left and to the right, sometimes northward bound and sometimes southwards, the head rolls (not necessarily in tandem with the movements of the transport), the said unfortunate neighbour being completely petrified of the possibility that it will at any moment land on his quivering shoulder and finally come to a staid rest there. And then what? What does one who is at a total and absolute loss of wit to deal with such a situation do? I can think of 3 points-of-action (1) Should he politely tap the ill-behaving, nodding-off-into-oblivion, insensitive Kumbhkaran-clone and request him to have a control over activities that should only be best adopted at night and mores so, when one is prone on a horizontal surface so as to cause minimal discomfort to the person sitting beside? (2) Or should he simply lift the erring head off his shoulder with an insulted finger and throw it off, having no care whatsoever for its well-being? Or the best option - (3) Should he simply move aside sharply, causing the dozing beauty to roll over to the seat/floor, thereby causing him extreme embarrassment and shame?

Despite having 3 interesting options at hand, each one being nastier than the other, I chose to go with the first option. I politely tapped the wayward gentleman and asked him to please be seated correctly. My action caused him to wake up with a start. He obliged, but without apologizing for his actions. What an uncouth soul! I had a good mind to embarass him further by getting up from my seat and switching places with someone else, but I let it go. No point in that. The nitwit would probably start dozing away on the next poor commuter too. So, I endured him for the remainder of the journey, but thankfully, a hard glance at him was enough to prevent him from repeating his actions.

So people, remember there are sleeping duties that you need to follow while catching the forty winks. High on the list is to refrain from nodding off. If you're feeling sleepy kindly do not travel. Have a nice little snooze at home itself, fix yourself a refreshing cuppa of coffee and then step out into the big, bright world outside. Rest assured, you'd be doing yourself, but mostly the others a huge favor.

2 comments:

prithvi said...

though I am not much of a sleeper, but my friends say yaar the small 10 minutes sleep in the bus is better than the 6 hours sleep back home, so some of those whom you encounter might be those who even after a nice sleep prefer that small wink. As for you letting that gentleman off the hook with such a gentle reaction I feel that was correct on your part because polite confrontations can hit people harder than the harsh ones.....

Avanti said...

Haha... they call them 'power' naps... they leave you with suprisingly more freshness than the normal 8 hour nocturnal routine. But what 'bout the poor person sitting next to you who feels absolutley 'powerless' when you use the former's shoulder as a pillow? More so if the person happens to be a girl. Like me.

But yes, I agree with you - being politely harsh is the only way to go! ;)